domingo, 15 de septiembre de 2013

WHAT´S A PHRASAL VERB?

A phrasal verb is a verb followed by a preposition or an adverb; the combination creates a meaning different from the original verb alone.


Example:

To get= to obtain        I need to get a new battery for my camera.

To get together= to meet      Why don´t we all get together for lunch one day?

Phrasal verbs are part of a larg group of verbs called "multi-part" or "multi-word" verbs. The preposition or adverb that follows the verb is sometimes called a "particle".

Phrasal verbs and other multi-word verbs are an important part of the English language. However, they are mainly, used in spoken English and informal texts. They should be avoided in academic writing where it is preferable to use a formal verb as " to postpone" rather than " to put off".

TRANSITIVE AND INTRANSITIVE PHRASAL VERBS

Some phrasal verbs are transitive (I made up an excuse). Some phrasal verbs are intransitive ( My car broke down).

SEPARABLE OR INSEPARABLE PHRASAL VERBS

Some transitive phrasal verbs are separable (the object is between the verb and the preposition.)
Example: I looked the word up in the dictionary.

Some transitive phrasal verbs are inseparable (the object is placed after the preposition.)
Example: I will look into the matter as soon as possible.

Some transitive phrasal verbs can take an object in both places.
Example: I picked up the book

However, if the object is a pronoum, it must be placed between the verb and the preposition.
Example: I picked it up

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario